Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Observing my MicroAquariumTM (11/12/2013)

On Tuesday, 12th November 2013, we made final observations of our MicroAquariums. In my Aqaurium, there were a few changes, as well as some newly observed organisms.

To address the general observations first, there is a lot more movement in the MicroAquarium than ever before. On the Utricularia gibba flowering plant, there were many small clear organisms either crawling on it or swimming in its vicinity which I could not identify. Though most of them were by that plant, a few were also by the Fontalis sp. moss. However, by the moss there were many diatoms gliding through the water. When I told Dr. McFarland this, he suggested that the diatoms were initially on the moss.

Now to go on to the specific observations I want to address.

First, there was a diatom I had not observed before. There were many of them localized in a region by the moss, some seeming larger than others. After looking through many sources with the assistance of Dr. McFarland (who recognized it),we found it.

This is an image of an Amphora ovalis (Weber 1971, Fig. 89).
 
 
 After discovering this organism, I found another previously unobserved organism. I thought this green alga was very pretty.

This is an image of a Pediastrum sp. (Forest 1954, Fig. 110)
 
 
The final observation (and most exciting in my opinion) I wanted to note in this post is that I discovered the silica skeleton of the diatom Surirella sp. that I saw the likes of in my previous post (Canter-Lund and Lund 1995, Fig. 224). There was a green organism residing within it, which may have been consuming its remains or taking shelter. This was particularly interesting to observe, as we learned about the diatomaceous deposits that are collected and marketed as diatomaceous earth for a variety of uses, including water filtration.
 
 
Bibliography:
 
 
Canter-Lund H and Lund JWG. 1995. Freshwater Algae. 1st ed. Bristol (England): Biopress Ltd. 360p.
Forest HS. 1954. Handbook of Algae. 1st ed. Knoxville (TN): The University of Tennessee Press. 467p.
 
Weber CI. Guide to the Common Diatoms at Water Pollution Surveillance System Stations. 1st ed. Cincinnati (OH): U.S. Environmental Protection Agency National Environmental Research Center Analytical Quality Control Liboratory. 107p. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment